Abraham was old. Elijah was suicidal. Job went bankrupt. David committed adultery and murder. Mary Magdalene was a prostitute. Zacchaeus was unpopular. Martha worried about everything. Paul persecuted Christians. Throughout the Bible, God uses broken people to bring hope to the world!
Romans 8:28 states that God works for the good of those who love Him, giving a sense of purpose. 1 Peter 3:15 encourages sharing the reason for the hope we found in Christ. Every human has a story that matters to God, and you have a clear purpose in Christ! The Gospel stories share accounts of individuals healed, forgiven, and forever changed by the very interaction of Jesus. Why? Because Jesus was the ultimate life changer! His presence alone profoundly impacted those who encountered him, just like you and me.
From Christ’s teachings and actions, we can learn how to serve like Jesus and coheir as a life changer. Let’s take a look at the story where Jesus restores a demon-possessed man in Mark 5:1-20. What do we know?
The Demon-Possessed Man
- The impure spirit came to Jesus.
- The townspeople were so scared of this demon. They tried to chain the man up to die. But ultimately, they could not subdue him.
- Instantly, the demon cried out to Jesus and fell to its knees and cried. A demon still knelt, knowing submission to him.
- The demons knew who Jesus was: the Son of the Most High God.
- They were ultimately scared and tried to make the man afraid of Jesus.
Jesus: The Life Changer
- Jesus followed where God led. He gave up travel time to pause and meet needs instantaneously.
- Despite being all-knowing, Jesus still asked for the demon-possessed man’s name. He wanted confession and restoration of this man’s true identity.
- Jesus was not scared of the impure spirit.
- Jesus treated this demon-possessed man differently and didn’t ask the man if he wanted to be healed. Instead, he took immediate action and commanded the evil spirit to come out of this man.
- Jesus was merciful even to the demons and allowed them to send the herd of pigs into the hillside. He was willing to sacrifice the pigs, to redeem and restore one child of God.
- Jesus exhorted the man to tell people how much the Lord has done, and the mercy he experienced.
No matter how far you’ve gone or the fleet of demons inside you, your confession and faith in Christ will bring you purpose. Just as Jesus touched the lives of many, we have that same power to make a difference and become life changers of all nations. Let’s learn to sacrifice whatever or wherever God leads us to, all for the sake of saving one lost soul and restoring a child of God! Will you give a reason for hope and change lives today?
Bring Life Change Today